Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Love James Dean!

"Being a good actor isn't easy. Being a man is even harder. I want to be both before I'm done."

And I don't care that he was born and raised in Indiana (I hate that state), I love me some him. Every time Rebel Without A Cause comes on, someone knows to call, text, or email me to let me know that it is coming on. Despite all this love for this movie, I don't own it. I own just about every other movie I grew up watching except for this one (and Splendor In The Grass). I'm afraid that if I were to own it I might not appreciate it like it is supposed to be appreciated. For example I bought Imitation of Life on DVD when I was about 15 years old (well my mom did) and I watched it so much that one day I just grew tired of it.

I hope to never grow tired of Rebel Without A Cause, it helped mold me. It's one of those movies that no matter how old it is the message stays the same. What is the message? Watch it and figure it out for yourself. Because I'm not one to tell the plot of a movie. Just know that it is a classic for a reason.

As far as James Dean, he is and will always be the epitome of cool. I love him. I don't care that I have never met him (or will EVER meet him), I love him. Why? The first time I ever saw Rebel Without A Cause I was a confused 11 year old who had just moved to this a small town, so I instantly identified with the character  of Jim Stark. When you're new you just want to fit in, and you'll do some pretty dumb things to be seen as cool although it took me a while to get the message I ultimately got it. However, after watching the film for the first time I became hooked. I had to know everything James Dean, so much so that I would ask my History and Science teachers questions about Mr. Dean as if they were my own personal encyclopedias. When I was finally able to convince my mother to buy me a computer and register for AOL (lol wow!) I began to research everything James Dean. His words, pictures, glasses, and driving style were everything to me (lol I'm such a speed demon). I was hooked, and to be honest I was kinda embarrassed by it. I kept my infatuation from the world and just dreamed that I would one day be as cool as James Dean. That day has yet to come.

I think that day hasn't come for a lot of people. Over the years I have noticed how each leading man (yes even my KCR) has tried to emulate Dean's style. Some have succeeded and others have failed miserably, but no matter what there is still only one Dean. He's forever young, beautiful, and cool.