Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two Movies I loved...

And probably won't be nominated for anything. They were independent films but does that mean  no one saw them. I don't know anyone who has, but I'm sure if movie-goers were to give these movies a chance they would seriously love them. 


Fish Tank: I saw this movie shortly after I read about it winning the Jury Prize at The Cannes Film Festival. If you don't know what that means just know this, it's pretty much a big deal. I didn't know much about it, all I knew was that hot piece Michael Fassbender was in it, and that was enough for me. If anyone doesn't know who Fassbender is, he's the hot one in 300 that uttered the unforgettable line "Then we shall fight in the shade."

I followed Fassbender's career to the film Hunger, about the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike. His role as Bobby Sands was fantastically disturbing. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, there were just some things one should never EVER see on film. EVER!

Fassbender, in Fish Tank, played the role of Conner. He's Mia Williams', played by Katie Jarvis, mother's new boyfriend. Conner comes off as a very nice guy who genuinely wants to become a part of Mia's troubled family. He seems to want to help her however, he's the one that needs help.

I honestly saw this movie being the one would blind side Hollywood. I would have never thought that it would have been Sandra Bullock and her Blind Side that would have everyone captivated. And for the record, I've seen The Blind Side, and Remember The Titans was better.

The second movie that I just knew would get some buzz was The Private Lives of Pippa Lee. I love this movie. It's funny, has a great cast, and has a plot that I can actually follow. The film follows Pippa, the young wife of an aging publisher, who has just moved into a retirement home. After reflecting on her dysfunctional life, Pippa realizes her self-worth.

The movie, written and directed by Rebecca Miller, stars Robin Wright, Blake Lively, Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, Alan Arkin, Mark Binder, Maria Bello, Monica Bellucci, and Julianne Moore. The cast alone made me want to see the movie. They are all actors that I love, and I was really excited to see Robin Wright in a role other than Jenny. I know she has been in other movies since Forrest Gump, but she will always be Jenny Curran to me.

Pippa Lee, has gotten some attention, but not enough to get it an Oscar nomination. I'm pretty sure we all know by now that The Oscars are complete bullshit, but it's still fun to watch.

The best movies I've seen in 2009 in a nutshell:
Precious
The Hangover
500 Days of Summer
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Inglorious Basterds (also starring Michael Fassbender)
Fish Tank
Avatar
The Princess Frog

The Worst and I do mean absolute WORST! Zombieland and I challenge anyone on that one.