Friday, March 11, 2011

It's All For You & Drag Queens


I'm so glad that I didn't sell my Janet Jackson ticket. I had such a great time with Paige, the strangers in my row, and two small plastic cups of vodka lemonade; that I'm convinced the amount that I spent was well worth it. 
The concert was everything I knew it would be & then some. Janet was fierce, svelte, and perfect. I loved that the show was non-stop entertainment. When it came time for Janet to make a costume change, the audience was shown clips from here television appearances. I sat next to a man who knew every single line from Janet's first appearance on Good Times as Penny. I thought he was going to stand up and wiggle his hips as Penny said, "It's not the men in my life, it's the life in my men." But I'm thinking that he didn't want to out gay himself any more than he did when he sang every damn word to "If".

However, I do have one thing to say that I did not like about the concert. It was too damn short. She didn't perform all of the songs I just knew she would. I was a little disappointed that I didn't hear "Black Cat", but I quickly got over it. 

Now that I think of it, there is one more thing that I didn't like about the JJ concert. I'm too damn short, and the stage at The Chicago Theater is too damn low. I had to jump up and down like a freaking Mexican bean to see Ms. Jackson. I didn't like that at all, but seeing as though Paige is 5'8'' vs. my 5'2'', I"m sure she didn't have not one thing to complain about. She assured me that she had an awesome time, and I'm happy about that.

After the concert, Paige and I ran into a friend of mine. This friend quickly invited us to a Drag show at a favorite spot of mine.
Anyone who knows me personally knows that there is nothing that I love more than a Drag Queen. I would say that I love my family more, but it's only a select few of them that I can tolerate more than a few hours. I can normally stomach more than 48hrs of Queen action, but this night must have been amateur night. After one queen decided in a sober state that it was a good idea to lip sync along to Ernie's ode to his bath time companion "My Rubber Duckie" in a Lacoste bath towel, Paige and I were pretty much done. However Paige was so done that she left me at the bar with my friend and left with another friend to go home. SMH, but I ain't mad...

Janet Jackson and Drag Queens in one night was once like a dream come true for me, but since I've actually had a chance to experience it;  I must say that I never have to do it again.