Thursday, January 20, 2011

What?

Okay, so I love art. Not so much paintings, but music, movies, writing, pictures...and, okay I guess I love some paintings since they are also a form of self-expression.
Just yesterday, I got into a mini-debate with someone over the song Strange Fruit by Billie Hoiliday. I said that the song was depressing because of the content of the song, then I was asked why would the song depress me since it was just art.  My reasons for finding the song depressing were:
  1. because of the content 
  2. its inspiration (The 1930 beating and lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith in Marion, IN)
  3. how the song was sang
As it always goes, I was told that I was wrong because as art, it isn't supposed to be depressing. What? Dude are you serious? It could just be me, but I thought (all this time, silly me!) that art was a self-expression that is supposed to get some sort of emotion out of its audience. I can be 100% wrong, but if art isn't supposed to stir up emotion then there really isn't a point in it at all.

Since I knew I wasn't going to win the argument with the clearly delusional, I just stopped talking about it and watched said person huff and puff at my disagreement. 

Seriously. For real? Okay, so the next time I'm watching a movie that makes me cry, or listening to a song that makes me smile I have to remember that I'm crazy. It's art. It just is. No emotion is supposed to be wrapped up in the consumption of it all. 

Get the fuck out of here dude.